November 2016 1
Thanksgiving holiday is unique! It is the one holiday we all celebrate! Most people have a big dinner/lunch which includes: a turkey, gravy, mash potatoes, green beans, casseroles, sweet potatoes, pumpkin pie, apple pie and more wonderful, tasty foods and drinks. It is common that during the holiday you can gain few pounds which can become permanent. It will not be easy to get rid of those few pounds.
My best advice is to try to avoid stuffing yourself! Here are 12 more tips how to avoid holiday weight gain:
- Exercise in the morning or 3 hours before you eat, take a long walk, go to the gym, anything that will increase your physical activity and burn calories before the big meal.
- Wear tight clothing so you have no room to eat.
- Eat a protein breakfast, do not go hungry to the dinner.
- Eat slow so you can get fuller faster and try to avoid getting a second plate. Do not over eat, when full- stop!
- Choose white meat over dark meat.
- Eat lots of vegetables and salads.
- Limit sodas, juices, and alcohol. In fact, drink lots of water before your Thanksgiving meal.
- Limit or skip your desert. This is very important, you can enjoy sweets in moderation and if you are full- skip desert.
- Help clean up, play ball with the kids, stay active. Move around.
- Take a walk after you eat, to try to burn some calories.
- Plan on working out on Black Friday
- Make your dinner earlier in the day,so you have time to be active after the meal.
REMEMBER: there are still few weeks of holidays, weeks full of festivities, holiday meals, and sweets. Start your weight loss program and exercise now. Don’t wait until January 2017 to come around.